Agenda for Eco Meeting 121.3
Minutes of meeting121.3
Cherry Tree Planting
On Tuesday 18th March 2014 at 1:20 pm I went up to the school field with Mrs Hollowell. After putting my wellies on I planted ten beautiful Cherry trees. Digging with the spade I made holes for all the trees. After that I put two Cherry trees in each hole. Then I put the soil back in and I put the grass downwards to give the tree nutrients so that the tree doesn’t die. I pushed the soil down with my heel so that the tree doesn’t fall over in the future and then I put rabbit protectors round the trees so that rabbits don’t eat them. Finally, I pushed canes into the soil to support the trees while they are growing.
Switch Off Fortnight 18 November - 1 December 2013
Celebrate saving energy with Switch Off Fortnight 18 November - 1 December 2013
Our school will take part in a Switch Off Fortnight campaign this year and we are aiming at savings of 20% on our energy bill.
The campaign is an excellent way to teach our pupils about the energy issues impacting our country and the importance of using energy efficiently. It is deliberately timed for the start of the darker and colder months when we start to use more heating and lighting.
ENERGY SAVING PLEDGE
Make a pledge and enter your details on the pledge page to be entered into a free prize draw. If you win you can choose from these exciting options:
- iPad 3
- LED HD smart TV
MAKE SURE TO DO THIS WITH YOUR PARENTS/CARERS
We are delighted to let you know that we have now achieved the Silver Eco-Schools Status. The Eco-committee has worked hard in the last term sharing eco-actions with their classes. We participated in Switch-off Fortnight last November when the committee gave out stickers and pencils to children and staff who turned off lights and electrical appliances.
We have an eco-code written by the committee which all children are aware of:
We're the pupils from our school,
To help the environment is really cool,
We must follow our ECO rule!
This should be a helpful rap,
So switch off the light and turn off the tap.
Reduce the bills of Wesham CE,
Then we can save water and electricity!
There is information on the school website about our eco-action plan and our Environmental Review. We will now be working towards the prestigious Green Flag Award.
Grown ups links
We already recycle
We already recycle:
- IT equipment in collaboration with Carr Hill
- Old TVs and video equipment
- Tyres in our garden and tyre park
- Computer equipment and parts in school whenever possible
- We have a small solar panel that re-charges batteries
- Print cartridges
- Mobile phones
- Garden waste
We save paper:
- By communicating electronically via the web site, e-mails, texts and our newsletter
We save electricity:
- Light and Computer Monitors
- Each class has two light monitors who make sure the lights, projector and computer monitors are turned off when not in use.
We save water:
- For our Climate Action Award one of the challenges was to check all the taps at home and school
- We have a water butt to water our plants and a home made water collection system in out garden
- We use 'hippos'
- We planted 30 free bushes from the Woodland Trust: Holly, Hazel, Hawthorn, Dog Rose and Dogwood